Links

Friday, August 5, 2016

Plectranthus amboinicus to reduce cough and phlegm

Malay name for this plant is "pokok bangun-bangun"[1], Indian borage [2]. It also used as substitute to oregano in cooking [3].
I have found this plant before and I was mesmerized with it smell. As the smell have a strong resemblance with  maruku. I have come across this plant so many time. I end up take the branch of the plant and planted in my house compound.
Size of the leaf that I grew at home. Not bad since I am only use kitchen waste compost as fertilizer
This week, one of my colleague were coughing a lot and don't want to take cough medicine as wanted to finish up few urgent work. I remember read some where that this plant is used to reduce cough and flame for kids. I give the leaves to my friend on Wednesday evening. My friend steam the leaves and consume the concoction at night. My friend told me that he is able to sleep that night without being awaken/disturbed by cough. By next morning, my friend already feel better. Even the phlegm reduced. My friend end up getting 1 plant from my garden to grew in his house.

Well, I found this helpful since I wanted to use herbs for medicine substitute.
I am very fortunate to have this herbs in my house compound. Seems like I need to grew more herbs afterwards for healthier lifestyle. After this need to plan and organize the plants arrangement in my house. As the land area for plantation is limited at the side if my house.
My "pokok bangun-bangun" in a small pot. I put dried waste as organic fertilizer for my plants

Personally, I do think this is a good option/alternative for me instead of depending on prescribed medicine. Especially for little ones/kids. For those who are interested to try this alternative, could contact me directly.

My reference:
[1] https://ms.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pokok_Bangun-bangun
[2] https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/herbs-and-spices/indian-borage-mexican-mint.html
[3] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plectranthus_amboinicus




No comments:

Post a Comment